This is a few days late, but on Saturday we celebrated Marty's first birthday. I love watching my kids grow and learn new things, but it also makes me sad because I realize they're one year closer to making me an empty nester. I know, that's a long way away but it's still coming faster than I want.
As I thought back to a year ago, I can't help but laugh about Marty's birth experience. It wasn't quite what we planned, but so memorable that I wouldn't change it for anything. Here's the short and sweet version for those of you who haven't heard the story. Josh and I dropped Vince and Aubs off to a friend and headed to the hospital early that morning for me to be induced. Hours and hours later not much was happening so around 6:00 pm Josh called his brother to meet us at the hospital to take the kids to his house for the night. Josh went to our friends, picked up the kids, and came back to the hospital. By that time, things had actually started rolling and I was within 30 minutes of delivery. We called Josh's brother to tell him he'd have to come up to the Labor & Delivery floor to pick up the kids and he informed us he was just leaving their house (about 45 minutes away). Needless to say, we were speechless, panicked, nervous, scared, etc. We didn't know what to do with our two children who would soon be welcoming a baby (we didn't know boy or girl). So, with help from the nurses and doctors - which were awesome with the whole predicament - our kids were able to be in the room with us when I delivered Marty. It was so fun to hear them saying things like, "I can't see anything yet", "Is it a boy or girl", and so many other cute things. It was fun to share the experience of finding out the gender with them. They were awestruck by having a new baby brother. Wondering when Josh's brother arrived? About 10 minutes later. It turned out great because the kids were able to meet Marty before they left. It was just another eventful birth for our family. We can't do it any other way. Something always has to be crazy with our deliveries. Makes me wonder what the next one will be like...I'm not announcing, don't worry!
So, to celebrate Marty in our life I decided to do a post about Marty's first year of life. Here goes... (this will be long...consider yourself warned!)
Welcome Martin Allen Grant!
What a great year with Marty. I can't imagine our lives without him. He is so loved in our house by his brother and sister. I always tell people that Aubrey would literally love him to death if I left her alone with him for too long. But, at least they love him, right? He is so happy and fun. The other day he was laughing at me so I asked him if his mom was funny. He smiled and shook his head NO! I'm sure this was a mistake...he really does think I'm funny! We love you Marty and are so glad to have you as part of our family!
6 comments:
thanks cally. that was a beautiful tribute to marty. brought back all the memories.
i love you too martin allen.
Happy Birthday handsome little man! I have a feeling your birth experience was only a small indication of the chaos that will come into your life! You have Allen in your genes...adventures wait at every turn!
Now I am craving fresh peaches...
What a cute boy. Amazing and sad how fast they grow. Your kids are CUTIES!!!
OOOOH! Happy Birthday Marty! He is soooo adorable! This makes me miss hi all over again:) He is sooooo blessed to have you and Josh as parents! Gees I wish you were my parents:) What's the scratch on his cheek, I gotta ask!?
What a cutie. Happy b-day Marty!
Lori~
The scratch on his cheek is from his fingernails. He woke up from a nap with 3 new scratches. Just an FYI, life with us as your parents isn't always peachy. Believe me!
Post a Comment