Friday, January 9, 2009

Is it really 2009?

Where did the last month go? I can't believe that Christmas is over, the new year has come, and my baby is turning one tomorrow. Sniff...sniff...does anyone have a tissue? My life is going by way too fast! I have so much to update so I have a TON of pictures. So, if you've got an hour or two, pull up a chair and read on.

Before Christmas, we took the kids to Temple Square. We met Aaron & Mandee and the boys...Maddy was too good for us. :) We went to dinner at Crown Burger and then walked around Temple Square. It was beautiful and put us in such a great Christmas spirit.


The kids and I in front of the reflecting pool. So beautiful! I love the white nativity in the middle of the pool. Love it!


The temple with the lighted trees. I love Christmas lights...and temples - especially at night.

The last picture before we left. It was pretty chilly and the kids were goofy.
We gave the kids a few dollars to spread the Christmas cheer with those less fortunate than ourselves. When they gave some money to this street performer, his wife wanted to make balloons for them as a thank you. So, about 20 minutes later, and many popped balloons, the kids were angels. They thought it was cool and the lady was really nice.
We bought these outfits to have a nice family picture taken and decided to just do it ourselves after church one day because we weren't getting around to having a nice one done. Well, the kids weren't behaving...especially Aubrey...so I had to straighten them out. The steps we have to take to get our kids to behave...sheesh! Okay, I was actually wiping something off her face, but it looks like I'm putting the smack down.

Cute Marty trying to act all innocent...don't be fooled!


The annual trip to see Santa. Marty LOVED him. He just stared and smiled at him. It was so cute. I wasn't sure if he would cry or smile, but the smile prevailed.


Santa with the kids. How cute is that?


We had a busy Christmas Eve. Each year we buy a new Christmas book and read it on Christmas Eve. So, we read our new book, read How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the Christmas story from the scriptures, made sugar cookies for Santa, left reindeer food on the lawn, and much much more. It was a fun Christmas Eve!


Josh's Aunt Bonnie sent the kids reindeer food to spread on the lawn on Christmas Eve. They loved it. We also left carrots for the reindeer and the kids checked the next morning to see if the reindeer had eaten them. Good thing the reindeer had taken a few bites and nibbles.
Licking the knives after icing the cookies...which didn't turn out for the first time ever. Seriously, how do you mess up sugar cookies that you've made a hundred times? Just ask me, I can obviously make it happen. It takes great talent.
This was Marty's first Christmas. He wasn't too impressed with opening presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas day for that fact.
Christmas Eve pjs. Marty apparently doesn't enjoy being held down for pictures. Go figure!
Aahh! They love each other.

Boys...gotta love 'em!

Waiting to come down the hall on Christmas morning.

Vince with his BB gun. Santa hid it behind the tv stand so Vince thought Santa forgot to bring it to him. When he finally found it he was extremely happy!

Aubrey asked for a doll that she could "style" (her actual words) her hair. She was very excited.

The day after Christmas, we headed down to my parents' house to see my brother's family that came from far away Ohio. We loved seeing them and can't wait to see them again. On the drive down, all three kids sacked out. It was amazing to have a quiet car. It seemed wrong!

While at my parents' house, we went sledding at the clay hills. It was so cold but pretty fun. Marty is not too thrilled with sledding. Every time Josh started pulling him he would roll out onto the snow. Maybe next year.

Lori and Marty...she loves him and he loves her.

Vince is a die hard sledder. He carried his sled up this steep hill long after everyone else was done. He had so much fun and probably would have stayed all night.

New Year's Eve found us home celebrating with our little family. Josh and I wanted to throw the kids a big party and make them feel special. We pulled out all the stops. Food, of course, was the focal point...in the beginning. We had fruit & veggie trays, pumpkin rolls, 7 layer bean dip, peanut butter and chocolate cookie bars, cheese ball & crackers, home made raspberry ice cream, apple beer, sparkling grape cider, and koolaid (the kids choice). I know, it was kind of over kill for the 5 of us, but the kids LOVED IT. They kept telling us we were having the greatest party ever. So fun to make such great memories with our kiddos!

The spread. It was good!

I gave Josh an ice cream maker for our KitchenAid. Here he is reading the manual before making our raspberry ice cream. You're so thorough Josh!

The fruits of Josh's labors. So, so, so good!

After Marty went to bed, we told the kids to pick some games and we'd play all night. So, this is the stack we ended up with. We made it through about half of the games but worked at finishing them off the next day.

Vince and Aubrey felt it necessary to put their cowboy (and cowgirl) hats on to play games. They are standing like that because Vince said they were cowboys who had been riding their horses too long and that is what happens to your legs. Go figure!

We gave our kids "Guess what I am?" for Christmas. They love it. Can you guess what we are?

Vince winning a game of chicken foot.

Welcoming 2009!

Vince stayed up until midnight to watch the ball drop. He was so excited. He thought he was so grown up! Aubrey fell asleep on the couch around 10:30. We bought confetti poppers, and the poppers you throw on the cement. Right when the ball dropped he started popping the confetti, throwing the poppers on the porch and yelling "Happy New Year". He ran in the house and said, "I just yelled Happy New Year to all of the neighbors." It was so stinkin' cute. Of course, we had to toast the new year with him too. He thinks celebrating the new year is awesome!

He was so wired that he couldn't fall asleep until 12:45 am.

Making the traditional New Year's breakfast...crepes.

A bunch of sledding pictures. You'll notice that my kids are better than me on the snowboard. I know for sure now that I am getting old!



We had a great 2008 and hope that 2009 is just as memorable!

(If you made it to the end of this post awake, you deserve a medal!)

10 comments:

Josh and Alison said...

So where do I pick up the medal? Looks like you brought in the new year right! And I know I've said it before, but if I didn't know better I'd say those little kids are Allens! Super glad to see all the fun.

grandma jojo said...

thank you cally. love all of the pictures and the stories that go with them.

Doty Family said...

Cute post! I love the picture of Aubrey snow boarding! It's a total girl power pictures. Looks like you all had a great time!

Mandee said...

I want some raspberry ice cream!

We really did have a great time with you guys at Temple Square... despite our TRAX experience. We need to do more stuff together!

loriallen said...

I don't think I better come to your blog when I am feeling like a lousy mom, because this would only reinforce and solidify that conclusion! You two have a beautiful life! I am sooooo impressed with New Years! I went to bed and so did all the kids but Shylee and Lance (they went over to friends). Then we left the next day for our over the top 32 hour drive and I have been behind ever since!!! PS You looked pretty smokin' awesome on the snowboard! You're a natural!!! Love ya!

Heather said...

You guys are too cute! You are starting some great traditions - your kids are very lucky!

The Morrills said...

Looks like you had a fun Holiday!!! I am still so jealous of your nice camera!!! Your kids are super cute. I bet they keep you on your toes! Thanks for the congrats!! We are super excited!! I am really lucky, because I don't get sick... Just really tired! When I get home from work, I CRASH!! It's gonna be weird being back in the diaper and bottle stage again! But soooo exciting!! Dax is super pumped!! He will be a good big brother!

Bryce and Candice Blood Family said...

Wow, Mandy is expecting, totally threw me off guard.

Anywho, okay, you have so many awesome pictures. I love this one, that one, and everyone in between. So MUCH fun! I love the picture with you all on the sled, your face and aubrey's are exactly the same! I tend to think Marty belongs to his dad though, some definite resemblance. When did Vince get so grown up? It's a darn good thing you are blogging so we don't miss anymore of your fun lives! I need to be taking notes...

Oh, and I will be to your New Years Party next year. You had me at the menu.

Sara said...

I love what you guys did for New Years with the kids. Maybe next year we'll try something like that. I'm sure they'd love it too and think it's so cool.

Natalie said...

Hi Cally,

You have me drooling over a crown burger! I had forgotten about that place-it is one of Brett's favorite places! It's nice to see you guys and know that you are doing well.