Monday, January 19, 2009

Josh's Toy

For Christmas Josh wanted a handgun.
So, a few weeks ago he finally found the one he wanted and we bought it. (Yeah, I know, it was after Christmas.) He got a Sig Sauer P229 .40 caliber. I don't know anything about handguns. Give me a rifle and I'm good, but a handgun is a different story. He was so excited. He brought it home, took it apart, and cleaned it. On Martin's birthday we took it out for the trial run. Josh had shot one at a shooting range, but not his gun. I'm sure this is exactly what Marty wanted to do for his birthday.
We used an old box with a target taped on it. Oh, can't forget the lone pop can on top.
It served the purpose.
He's not excited or anything.
Here's me. Notice the can is falling off of the box...BULLS EYE!

Vince brought along his BB gun that Santa brought him for Christmas. He's pretty good. He almost got the bulls eye. He LOVES his gun!

Notice that he is shooting with his left eye and right hand. He's right handed, but apparently his left eye is dominant. I have a brother like this too. We need to get him changed to shooting left handed. It's a little frustrating for him to try to shoot left handed right now. Maybe when he's older we can get him to switch over. Until then he'll have to keep leaning over the gun so his left eye can see the target.

Josh helping Aubrey with the BB gun. She doesn't really know how to aim yet. She doesn't care if she comes close to the target. It's all about pulling the trigger for her.

I LOVE this man! He is so good to help our kids learn new things. Sometimes it can be frustrating, believe me, but he still tries to let them help him or teach them how to do it. They love doing "stuff" with Dad!

While Josh and I shot the pistol, the kids sat in the car. It looks like they had fun. It was cold outside so it was nice for them to jump in the car for a few minutes to warm up.

All in all it was pretty fun. Josh and I will be doing it for a date night at an indoor range sometime. Then we'll see who's better. Not that I'm competitive or anything. ;)

12 comments:

loriallen said...

I am sooo impressed! I want to shoot it! Let the competition begin (with me in it, please)! What a good dad, and of course, a stud-muffin mom shootin' a gun, and not just any gun a Sig Sauer!!! Good for you. Now you can protect your family in style!! Love your cute, pistol shootin' family!

Mandee said...

It is a beautiful gun! We can't wait to go to the range with you guys and try it out!

p.s. I love Aubs in the car!

fivewheeler said...

I have to admit I have a secret love...skeet shooting. We just went the other day and I love it.

laceeJ said...

of course helayna likes skeet shooting, cuz she kicks everyone's trash! I totally understand how guys get into guns! Dave bought his own anniversary present this last year....a .40 Springfield XD...I'll never understand it. I still think shotguns are a girl's best friend. :)

grandma jojo said...

like father like son. that is all i can say about the gun thing.
now then, aubs in the car. love it! checking herself out in the mirror - what a girl.

melaniea said...

hey you need to get it right you have two brothers like that i can't beleive you would lie to everyone. oh and you have shylee like that too i changed her last deer hunt lance and i noticed it

Angie said...

Okay so where do I go skeet shooting, it sounds like so much fun. Next time we are in Payson we should get together and let our husbands shoot thier guns...David would get a kick out of it!

Megan Guymon said...

Hey, this is Megan Torgersen...Kimala told me about your food storage and I had to check it out! Wow...it is amazing! I am just beginning the addiction of Pinching your pennies and hope to build a nice food storage. Mostly because I hate to grocery shop and it is a beautiful sight to see full shelves! Great to see your cute little family!

Megan Guymon said...

Yeah, I want to know how you did that!! I am just learning, but I am so, so excited! I have heard about the 5 sunday paper thing, but wasn't sure if it was worth it. Sounds like it is though. I actually went and got one today at the paper stand to see the coupons. I can use many of them! I love it! I actually approached this girl in Albertson's when I got instant oatmeal for .50 cents and was telling her all of these deals. She looked at me like I was mental. Fun Fun!!

Sara said...

You guys are so cool.

Robbie said...

So glad I followed the trail to your blog. Hope you don't mind if I peek at your cute family. Joseph bought me a hand gun to run with in case I have to fight off large cougars or crazy men. It's so little (big kick) it scares me so it stays home unless I go target shooting.

Allen Family said...

Ok, I spent a long time catching up on your last few posts! Your Christmas pix were totally fun and I have to say as a major lover of New Year's...way to go! Way to give it the celebration it deserves. We love New Year's Eve at our house!!! I think Josh's gun is going to be a huge hit with Lex when he sees it, great...another item for the wish list! love you, Jes