Tuesday, April 21, 2009

WANTED!



Anyone who can keep my children safe!

Can I tell you how awful I am as a mother? Well, I will anyway. I am the mom who says "let them do it, they'll be fine". Well although that is good, it is also bad. Case in point, I have been the one "in charge" when our children have received ALL of their injuries. Did I mention I'm to blame for all of them? Thus, Cally = crappy mom!

Here's the rundown: (sorry, couldn't find pictures of all the incidents...some are really old. Oh, and be warned...this is graphic.)

#1. Vince (age 2) has a tv & stand fall on him at my parent's house in Esky. He is blessed with a cut that covers his entire finger, but he's alive. Where is Josh...home...thus, Mom is to blame.

#2. Vince (age 3) while at 7 Peaks...gets pushed by a mean (okay, maybe just excited) little girl and hits the edge of a stair...stitches by his eye. Who was in charge? ME! Are you seeing a trend yet?

#3. Aubrey (age 2 ish) closes the washer lid on her finger while helping me do laundry...ends up with a broken finger...yep, you guessed it. Josh is at work and Mom is in charge.

#4. Vince (age 4) gets hit by a golf club at a neighbor's house (not technically in my presence, but Josh was at work and I was home...so it still counts) and ends up with a severe cut on his cheekbone with major stitches. I mean there was a piece missing from his cheek for crying out loud.

#5. Vince (age 5) breaks his clavicle crashing on his bike at the skate park while going down a ramp (this happened a month ago). Who would let their 5 year old try out the skate park...even encourage it? You guessed it, ME! Have you noticed how Josh has not been a part of any of this?

#6. Happened today and is definitely the kicker!

(Let me start by saying that we got back just last night from a vacation to see family in sunny California. It was a nice and relaxing vacation and we were looking forward to lots of spring projects. But we are no longer looking forward to the next 4 - 6 weeks.)


One week ago today = Vince got to take off his sling...clavicle healed (just in time for vacation). Yay!


Today (Monday)= Marty wearing a cast with a broken leg. Boo!
(Remember, this is day #1 back from vacation!)

Who has a one year old with a broken leg? You guessed it...the irresponsible, torturous, non-attention paying mother known as Cally.

How could a one year old break his leg you ask? Well, he loves to sit on the trampoline and pet Buzz (the hyper family dog). This works great because Buzz isn't allowed on the tramp when the kids are on so he stays on the grass and Marty pets him (our tramp is in the ground). Well, Aubrey wanted to get on the tramp with Marty and I warned her to NOT jump. Well, she couldn't resist forever so she jumped..."I was only doing bum, knees, feet mom". Well, with that jump came a "buckle" or "compression" fracture to Marty's little one year old Tibia (right below his knee).


Where was Josh?

At Work!



Where was Mom?

In charge of course!

(Marty eating breakfast the morning after.)

So, here's my plea to save my children from myself.

Is there anyone out there that would be able to keep my children safe? I don't know that they can survive a lifetime with me! Please attach resumes in the comment section. As for me, I'll be not sleeping tonight because I'll be on the one-year-old-with-a-broken-leg-shift. But, I promise that I will not allow my children to get hurt throughout the course of the night...hopefully!

p.s. Josh was embarrassed to call and tell anyone. So sorry we didn't "call" and tell you. He said he would be telling nobody at work either. What a mom I am! Maybe DCFS will be on our doorstep today!

16 comments:

loriallen said...

I am speechleess. Seriously, maybe this is your payment plan because of all hte broken bones you had when you were a kid. God has his ways. I think some people would call the Karma. Maybe me. Maybe at the endof the post you should of said how many broken arms, noss etc y had as a child. Then this wouldn't seem so bad. I won't judge, I will just laugh...a lot. I do feel bad for Marty, he's adorable sad in the pic. I can't believe how much he looks like Hunter in that pic. I will pray for you:)

loriallen said...

There's an ER doc here in Ohio,that has got word of the goings-on in your home and he says it sounds "suspicious." Maybe child protective services should be called in,or at the very least some parenting classes should be taken, especially classes on "child safety." This doesn't happen to the average family. Maybe if you hadn't raised them so "wild-like," or if genetically their parents weren't such energetic risk-takers, to make the children pre-disposed to be rambuctious, this wouldn't be happening. Offical diagnosis-Munchousin by Proxy.

Cally said...

Lori,
No munchousin by proxy here! I'd prefer to not get attention because my children are injured. But thanks for throwing that out there. I'm sure Josh will wonder now.

Mandee said...

My reaction: Oh. My. Gosh.

Aaron's reaction: Holy Crap!

I'm sorry Cally. That is not fun having kids that are all beat up. You've definitely had more than your share of injuries. Need a wire hanger?

Love ya.

Doty Family said...

That stinks! Poor little guy! Oh, so sad. Today I put Tyson in a tree and encouraged him to climb as high as he could. What kind of a mother am I? You've got to let them be kids and take risks or what fun would there be in life. It still stinks though. I'm sorry!

grandma jojo said...

sad little marty. he needs grandma to hold him.
STOP beating yourself up. you are not a bad mother.
the reason you were there when all of this happened is because you are the MOM! you are with them more than josh - it's percentages. i'm sure there is a spread sheet that could explain it better! i'll have brad get on that.
give marty kisses and hugs for me.
oh, and one more thing; HIDE those roller blades!

The Morrills said...

I think it is just bad luck Cally! You are not a bad mom, you just passed your bad luck onto your children!!! :) Remember how many times you broke your arms, sprained your ankle and so on and so forth!! You are a great mom! Fact is, that you have two boys (and most boys are so accident prone). Boys will be boys. Then your little girl is probably exactly like her mom. You never were one who was afraid to take risks!! Remember when we used to jump over the cracks in the sidewalk on our roller skates at school? I was always the one "watching" because I never dared! And you were NEVER afraid! Your kids sound exactly like you! They will all be super tough just like you though. It will just be a long road of bumps and bruises along the way!

melaniea said...

Cally,I'm sorry, but I kinda had to laugh, cause your blaming yourself:) I feel so bad for poor little Marty, but honestly I've seen little kids with lots of injurys all over, so don't feel like a bad mom or an abnormal mom!! Your an amazing mom, and some day I hope to be as good as you are :) No worries I will be up there soon, I think you need a little girl time away anyways!!! Good Luck!

Heather said...

No way! Cally, I'm so sorry. At least it didn't happen because he fell out of the high chair (ooops, maybe I wasn't supposed to mention that!)Well, at least now he probably won't be able to climb out of the high chair for a while. I take that back....I'm sure he'll figure out a way!

You are the best kind of mom there is....one who lets her children have adventures! I hope the next 4-6 weeks goes by quickly. The cast will be off in time for summer swimming.

Cally said...

Thanks everyone! I had to have a venting session when I wrote this post. I'm much better now.

Mandy~ My kids are definitely taking after me. I just wish they'd stop! You make me sound like such an exciting daredevil growing up. Josh just says I must have been clumsy. :)

So, although I did a big rant and rave, I feel much better now. I know that I encourage my kids to be adventurous and that things like this will just happen. I just hope they don't happen for a long time!

fivewheeler said...

cal, you ever heard of a boy named Dusky...he turned out just fine and his mom totally rocks. Good fun. I think it is good to not be such a nervous nelly...how would your kids ever have any fun?

Sara said...

Oh Cally! Don't beat yourself up! I for one, think your a super mom.

Poor Marty. That's a big cast. But know it's not the worst I've seen. I have a good friend whose 6 month old (who is now 4) fell off her bed and had to have basically a body cast. It was bad.

laceeJ said...

sounds like it's CURIOUS CAT syndrome, not bad mommy disease! Your kids are DEFINATELY climbers, jumpers, etc. Ditch the trampoline, though. I swear, I don't know HOW many broken bones were caused by our trampolines growing up. NONE of my bones, though:) I like to brag about how "careful" I am. ha ha. OH, get a horse or two, like myself, and strap your kids to that....see if it turns out any better than the trampoline! LOL! Poor little boy.:(

loriallen said...

I love te wire hanger comment from Mandee!! Mommy Dearest!! Karma, Karma, Karma! The post is sad and great! Remember when I laid Shylee down when she was a little baby on your parents bed, and she fell off, but before she fell off she managed to hit into your mom's dresser, then when I picked her up I accidentally slammed her knee into the doorknob? I walked her out and handed her to your mom and said "don't let me touch her!"

Aimee said...

Cally, you are an awesome mom! The only reason Josh isn't there when this stuff happens is because he would freak out!! Poor little Marty!!

Mandee said...

Ha! I promise I didn't offer a wire hanger for you to beat your kids- I just thought Marty might get itchy in the next few weeks.