Can I tell you that I hate blogger sometimes! I have tried and tried to get this post to work right and it is impossible. It looks perfect when I am composing it, but when it goes to posting it messes everything up. How frustrating!
Yes, his birthday was a few weeks ago, but we've had lots going on...broken bones, vacations, etc. Cut me some slack, okay.
Just over 6 years ago, Josh and I were expecting our first baby. He was due May 10th. On April 1st, I told Josh to call my parents to tell them I was in labor. He said that it was too mean for an April Fool's day joke. I on the other hand thought it would have been hilarious.
Well, the joke was on me, because 2 days later on April 3rd, I really did go into labor. Well, to make a really long story short (a 4 day story to be exact) Vince was born 5 weeks early at a whopping 7 lbs. 1 oz. He was perfect! He had minor problems from being early, but all was great. I remember driving home from the hospital with this tiny person in the back of our car thinking,
"I am a mom...
we are parents...
we will never be the same."
Little did I know that was more true than I could ever have imagined! Vince, we are so glad to have you as part of our family. Here's a little tribute to YOU!
You are a great big brother:
~One day I told Aubrey I was going to beat her bum and you jumped in front of her with your arms spread open and said very boldly, "No Mom, don't do it. I won't let you. I will protect her!"
~A few days after you broke your clavicle, you caught Marty falling out of his highchair. With your help, the fall was much easier. You started crying because it hurt you so bad, but you said, "Mom, I saw him falling and I knew it would hurt my broken clavicle, but it was worth it!"
~You let your little sister tag along even though it is a bother at times. You are always looking out for your younger brother and sister.
You already have a strong testimony of the church:
~You love to bear your testimony. Or as you say, "I'd like to stand and BURY my testimony."
~You know that your Heavenly Father and Jesus love you.
You are a great friend:
~For your 6th birthday we had to invite a TON of kids because you didn't want anyone to think you didn't like them or make them feel bad.
~You get reminiscent when we drive by the houses of your friends that have moved away...you are a true friend.
You are a great son:
~You have taught your dad and I so much about being parents and about love.
~You love to spend time with your dad and I. Especially with Dad when it involves airplanes!
~We love those days that you are so worn out that you take a nap (basically never) because that means you get to stay up late and talk to us. We love the alone time with you.
You know how to tear at the heart strings:
~I was having a particularly hard day...I was really ornery...and when I tucked you in bed you said, "Mom, why were you being mean today?" You have a very tender heart!
~On another note, you are always up for a good cuddle and you are very good to show your love.
~If you ever see me crying...even if it's a happy cry (guys, you wouldn't understand) you come give me a hug.
~If you ever see me crying...even if it's a happy cry (guys, you wouldn't understand) you come give me a hug.
The celebration
We have decided to let our kids have "friend" parties every other year. So, this year Vince was able to have a friend party. We had planned for months to go bowling with some of his friends. Well, then he broke his clavicle. He decided he would figure out a way to bowl and we would still go.
Our neighborhood has about 1 million kids...okay, maybe only 1,000. But, you get my point. It's great because Vince has SO many kids his age, but when it comes to birthday parties it make for a long list. Vince came up with a list of 12 kids. We planned on about 8 actually coming. You know how there's always the kids that can't come, but not this time. Plus, we had some family members in town that we weren't planning on being able to make it. So, you see where I'm going, right. We didn't have a little friend party. We had a 4 lane, eighteen kid (all 6 and under), rockin' party! Yes, you read right. We had 18 kids bowling...plus lots of little brothers and sisters watching. Surprisingly, it was very controlled chaos. What was I thinking when I agreed to taking so many kids bowling you ask? I obviously wasn't! But, we had lots of fun bowling, eating cupcakes, and opening presents. All in all, it was a great party. I mean, we even came back with all of the kids...surprising that we didn't lose any.
Our neighborhood has about 1 million kids...okay, maybe only 1,000. But, you get my point. It's great because Vince has SO many kids his age, but when it comes to birthday parties it make for a long list. Vince came up with a list of 12 kids. We planned on about 8 actually coming. You know how there's always the kids that can't come, but not this time. Plus, we had some family members in town that we weren't planning on being able to make it. So, you see where I'm going, right. We didn't have a little friend party. We had a 4 lane, eighteen kid (all 6 and under), rockin' party! Yes, you read right. We had 18 kids bowling...plus lots of little brothers and sisters watching. Surprisingly, it was very controlled chaos. What was I thinking when I agreed to taking so many kids bowling you ask? I obviously wasn't! But, we had lots of fun bowling, eating cupcakes, and opening presents. All in all, it was a great party. I mean, we even came back with all of the kids...surprising that we didn't lose any.
Waiting for the fun to start.
Waiting for the bowling balls to come back.
Charlie bowling and SOME of the kids from the party playing in the background.
Cousins Maren and Isaac. We were so glad they were in town for the party.
Vince bowling. He did a great job of figuring out how to bowl with his arm in a sling. He would run up (sideways) to the line and throw...literally...the ball down the lane. He even got a strike!
What a party!
Marty bowling. He loved it!
(Just a note about my lovely shoes...I bought them the summer I went to Florida to sell pest control.
I paid $1 plus tax. They are about to celebrate their 10th birthday this summer.)
Opening presents.
After bowling, we took the kids home and Vince picked where we went to dinner. He picked One Man Band. We tried to talk him out of it, but hey it's cheap so we didn't try very hard. Since it was his birthday, we even let him order our food over the phone at the table. He was so proud.
After dinner, we came home for cake and ice cream. When I asked Vince what kind of cake he wanted this year he told me the #6. How easy is that? I just used two 8" round cakes and cut out the 6 from that. So, so easy!
Talking to those who called to wish him a happy birthday.
Vince insisted on lighting the candles himself.
The birthday boy! He is growing up way too fast!
All in all, I think Vince had a great birthday and birthday party. Earlier that morning we showed Vince his present from us...a basketball hoop. We told him he had to feed the dog before we'd give him his present. We had the hoop set up in the garage and he didn't even notice it. I twas hilarious!
Feeding the dog.
Finally noticing his hoop.
It was actually kinda sad. Vince broke his clavicle the day that we bought his hoop. After he saw his present we told him to go take a few shots and he said, "I can't, I only have one arm."
We love you Vince and are glad you are part of our family!
6 comments:
We love Vince... and that party was awesome! Thanks for inviting us!
Wow! Looks like an eventful day! I can't believe 18 kids! WOW! Corbin saw the kids bowling with those stands...now he wants to go bowling, but they don't have those stands for the kids down here :( Oh, and Corbin also wants a cake just like the one you made! I hope it's as easy as you said it was! We'll have to see how that goes. HE doesn't turn 6 until June...Happy Birthday (Late) Vince! What a good boy, protecting your sister from your mom! HA HA! I laugh because COrbin does the same thing...and he asks me if I"m mad, too. HA HA!
We are so glad we got to be part of Vince's 6th birthday. What luck! Every time our families get together I feel so grateful that Park and Vince have each other. I think it'll always be fun for them growing up at reunions and what not. I'm so glad about that. And Bird and Aubs too! That's so fun for me! We love you guys! jes
thanks for the party pics. looks like everyone had a lot of fun.
i love vince so much. he has such a good heart.
That looks likeone awesome party! Great job you guys! Cally, I love the cake! It's awesome! Vince is one handsome lil man! I'm so glad it was a fun party! Happy very Be Lated Birthday Vinecent!
Thanks so much Cally!! It was a great experience!! We loved it. We are getting sealed next month right after our anniversary. We are so excited! It was fun seeing Matt and Amy be sealed!
And thanks for the prego comment too!! Your sweet! I FEEL SO BIG! I wore some grey scrubs to work the other day and I felt like an elephant! :) It's a darn good thing we get something so great after being pregnant!! It makes it all worth it!! Your a sweetie!! Miss ya!
Post a Comment