So, it's official! Josh finished our shelves a few weeks ago in our storage/fruit room. Well, at least one side of the shelves. The others will have to wait for a while. Can I tell you how excited I am. Every time he put in another screw I would clap and say "one more down". I even took a picture of the last screw...which I won't be posting because it looks lame. But, here's some pics of the handyman (aka my hubby) at work. Thanks again to my mom and dad for the great Christmas present and for helping Josh and I with the AWESOME project. Can you tell I'm excited?
Josh working hard.
The last shelf was TIGHT working conditions. Josh had to use a screwdriver to get the screws in a little bit so the drill would even fit.
Finished! Now my work begins...or my fun begins.
Amazingly, it took me a while to get to the point of even starting to put our stuff on the shelves. I think it was just such an overwhelming task that I didn't know where to begin. I was so consumed with getting it organized just right that I didn't know what to do. So, I decided to just start and see what happens. Well, many hours later, I still had this much food to put on the shelves. You can't even see it all in this picture. 
Here are some pictures of the process - the longer than planned process.


Notice Marty's bouncer. My poor boy had to sit there for hours while I put stuff on the shelves. Good thing I was throwing snacks his way or he would have never made it.
Here's the finished product...with bad lighting. We still have to finish the electrical. Pictures do not do it justice!
The cases under and to the side of the shelves are bottled fruit that wouldn't fit on the shelves. Like I said, we'll have more shelves eventually.
These are the cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, and paper goods. I just noticed that the paper towels are upside down. I'll be fixing that. Yes, I am CRAZY!
I know that I am completely consumed with my bottling and that I probably have a clinical addiction to it. Josh always says that if the house was on fire or a tornado was heading straight for us I would stay in the house to bottle what was ripe. During bottling season my famous words are, "I know that I didn't have time to bottle today, but the (insert whatever I am bottling at the time) were ready. I had to." So, although Josh appreciates my bottling, he celebrates the day that I take my canning supplies to the basement for the last time of the season. I decided that I would see how far this addiction had taken me this year. I didn't count the bottled goods that I so nicely (remember that Cassy) did for my sister or the stuff that my mom kept to give as Christmas present. Well, here's the final tally (minus the pumpkin I still have to bottle and the frozen peaches I am making into peach syrup). Just don't tell Josh I'm still not done. Okay, he knows but just don't remind him. Please!
Drum roll please.......
442 bottles!
(pints and quarts)
I couldn't believe it when I counted up the numbers. It made me realize I am crazier than I once thought. Here's the break down. Are you even interested? Don't lie, I know that you're not!
Beets = 39 pints
Peaches = 117 quarts
Raspberries = 18 quarts
Jam = 20 pints
Pears = 73 quarts
Peach Salsa = 28 pints
Apple Pie Filling = 24 quarts
Applesauce (regular) = 59 quarts
Raspberry Applesauce = 12 quarts
Strawberry Applesauce = 14 quarts
Cinnamon Applesauce = 38 quarts
(Total Applesauce = 123 quarts)
Here's to another successful bottling season that is almost over. Que the music. I would like to thank those who give away their delicious fruit, for an awesome raspberry patch to pick amazing berries, my garden for being great and productive, my hubby for putting up with my excessiveness, my kids for being neglected during it all, pinching your pennies for helping me fill my shelves with cheap food, and last but not least my mom for helping in times of overwhelming fruit pile up.
At the conclusion of this year's bottling season I have decided that bottling is like childbirth. You forget how bad it is and do it all over again!
13 comments:
awesome! your shelves are better stocked than our market. (and much prettier).
don't appologize for your canning expertise be proud you know what you are doing and of your handiwork afterward.
p.s. i am so happy to see your hubby working with protective eye gear.
Norm always says that eye protection is key in wood working.
Cally is that you Dr.Pepper in the background of those pictures. If it is you better get it out. j/k i just remember you never drank anything but juice or sprite i think.get to my house and can for me and get my food storage built up like that.it looks great. I am working on it but i am not doing great at all. how do you do it all like that.
Lacy,
That Dr. Pepper is caffeine free. :) I still don't drink caffeine, but my hubby does. My food storage has increased a ton since I started couponing and using "pinching your pennies". Plus all that I bottled this year.
If the food supply is tainted in the next couple of years, I am coming to your house. You have Dr. Pepper and all that bottled fruit, I am sooo there. However, Bryce will have to bring his own Mt. Dew. Seriously impressed. Moving does not do good things for food storage, you eat up all you can before you move to avoid moving it, I am guessing you understand more than anyone why. Could you imagine placing all your organized goods in boxes, moving them and reorganizing. Not to mention bottles breaking. Someday I will be like you, I've been saying that my whole life...
Candice,
You are so welcome to come to our house if you're ever in need. We are willing to share. :) And, I wish I could be more like YOU! You are so caring and nice. These last few months I tend to only think of myself. Yeah, I know. It's bad. I can't wait until you move to UT. At least I will have more of a chance to see you.
I am seriously jealous of your food storage! That is so awesome! I can't wait to have mine look that complete. Oh, I noticed you have cleaners on the bottom shelf, maybe you should move them up on top, if your kids are anything like mine, or if they have access to your storage room, you might really consider moving them higher. I would hate if anything happened to those precious babies! I have called poison control once with each child! Just a WARNING!!! Looks great though!
Good idea Aly! I'm not a great mom obviously!
seriously, seriously, seriously
AMAZING!
You are my idol. Can I grow up to be like you? And also, can we borrow Josh to put shelves up at our house? :)
Cally, just here being jealous. Jealous of your shelves, your storage, your canning prowess, the whole thing. I know we are taught to not covet but come on that is a beautiful thing. P.S. I have been reading about Pinching pennies for a few months...please expound. or maybe a phone call would do.
helayna
Wow.. way to go Cally... Your shelves and food storage look great! Your kids are pretty darn cute too:) It was fun to catch up for a minute.
I am flippin amazed...You Rock!
oh. the christmas tree hunt post was dang cute. That brings back many memories.
Post a Comment