Friday, January 7, 2011

Welcome Taylor Annalynn

Welcome Taylor Annalynn Grant!

Born: October 25, 2010
Time: 11:35 am
Stats: 8 lbs. 13 oz. and 20.5 inches
Place: Mountain View Hospital, Payson, Utah

I know this is late, but for journaling purposes here goes.

Two short months ago, we welcomed a new baby girl to our family. She was due on October 29th, but I was scheduled to be induced at 10am the morning of October 25th. I had pre-term labor with her at 32 weeks, but she made me suffer it out until the end! My parents had come to spend the night with us so that they could take care of the kids while we were in the hospital.

At 4:00 am Josh woke up to take a potty break and the door to the bathroom squeaked really LOUD. I woke up just in time to feel Taylor jump really big and feel my water break. She was making sure that she was born that day even if the rooms at the hospital might be full! Vince had come into our bed sometime during the night and was asleep by me. I started shaking him to wake him up so he could go get me a towel. He woke up, confused to say the least, and started into the bathroom to get the towel. Josh, on the other hand, heard the commotion and started running out saying, "is Vince puking!" It was quite the comedy. It's funny that Vince was excited to be there when my water broke...I'm sure he won't feel that way in a few years! :)

Before I had gone to bed that night I gathered all of my hospital stuff and put it in a pile on the floor. So, I still had to pack. I camped out on the toilet so as to not spread the joy of my water breaking throughout the house. Too much information? Probably...but it was cute to see Vince pop his head in and ask what else he could do to help me get ready to go to the hospital. I would tell him something to get and he would get it and then run back for another job. It was super cute. Pretty soon Aubrey was also awake and helping. They were both wired. Running around getting things for me...even if I didn't need them...and saying, "we're going to have a baby today." They were great helpers. Vince even snapped a picture of me and my big belly before we headed to the hospital. We were so glad that my parents were there for the night instead of coming in the morning. It was so much nicer to not have to call a neighbor in the middle of the night.
Vince's photography work. I'm 39.5 weeks and I look hammered!
Aubrey wanted a picture of her hugging my belly. She was excited!

We got to the hospital at about 5:15am and checked in. By the time we reached the hospital my contractions were about 3-4 minutes apart. But of course, they slowed down when I layed down in the hospital bed. Around 7 o'clock the doctor had them start me on pitocin to speed things up. I didn't protest at all! He came in an hour or so later and predicted a baby before noon. I felt like things were moving faster too. Not like the last 3 kids...which took between 4 days (long story) and 12 hours of labor before they were born. At about 10 am I decided to have the epidural and things were really nice after that. :)

I don't know what it is with me, but with each kid I get a little more emotional when it comes to labor and delivery. While I'm sitting there waiting my mind starts wandering. That day it couldn't help but wander to the first time we delivered a baby at this hospital. We were delivering our first baby girl, Aubrey. My Grandma Marva Allen had come up to see us with my parents and came to the hospital right after Aubrey was born. The power was out at the hospital (another long story) and we just sat and talked. It was so nice to have her share that experience with us. About a month and a half later she had a devastating stroke and a few months later she died on Christmas day. I wiped a few tears as I thought how that was one of the last times I had spent with Grandma and I thought how nice it would be if she were here sharing this experience with us. I had an overwhelming feeling that she was there with us for Taylor's birth also. It was such a reassuring feeling to know that our little Taylor had so many family members on the other side wishing her well on the new journey she would start here on Earth. The veil is so thin during times like that!

Now back to Taylor. :) At around 11 am I told the nurse we better start prepping things for a baby to be born. So, she called the doctor and things started moving along for real. Taylor has been my easiest labor and delivery by far out of all of my kids. I pushed one time, then they had me stop because she had the cord wrapped around her neck. Then I pushed another half push, or maybe 1/4 of a push, and she was here.

It's amazing how you instantly love your new baby. It doesn't take anything other than a look to know you'll love them forever and you'd do anything for them. She was beautiful! Lots of dark, long hair, and already chubby! In fact, she was so chubby (although I think she was actually swollen) that she had a crease at the top of her nose where it met her forehead. While we were hugging and holding our new babe, the doctor showed us her umbilical cord. It had a huge,tight knot in it. At the moment, it was a little scary, but she was safe so I didn't think much of it. A few weeks later I realized how blessed we were when I was told of a family who was having a funeral for their baby that day because the knot in its cord caused it to die in utero. Now I realize what a blessing it was to have her safe with us! She also had a ton of mucus that they kept sucking out. It took them a while to get her lungs to a good point and for the next day or two she would spit out more mucus.
8 lbs. 13 ounces
This picture makes me laugh. I don't know if she looks distraught or mad about being born. But either way, it's making her feel better to put her hand over her face. :) Proud Papa with his new baby girl.
We had the greatest doctor, Dr. Anderson. As he was leaving, he took the camera from Josh and snapped a picture of him. How thoughtful!
There's that crease at the top of her nose. :)She didn't care much for her first bath.All clean and back to give Mama kisses! I love, love, love, newborn kisses!Look at that hair!
Mom and Taylor

After Vince got home from school, my parents brought the kids down to see her. They were super excited. Vince came in the room first with the cutest look on his face. He was excited to see his new baby sister. Aubrey, of course, was excited to have a partner in crime for future years. Marty was excited too, but didn't want to hold her or anything until right before he left. Aubrey and Vince held her right away and then later on wanted to lay down and cuddle with her on the bed. They thought it was so cool to get to lay by her and cuddle. Funny kids!

Vince (7) and TaylorAubrey (5) and TaylorMarty (2) and TaylorAll snuggled in on Aubrey's lap.Cute little handsGrandma Debbie Allen and TaylorGrandpa Greg Allen and TaylorTaylor checking out her new sister. She loves her!The kids hanging out at the hospital

After the kids left that night, my parents took them shopping for a new 4 door Jeep for my mom. I don't know who in their right mind would want to take 3 kids car shopping, especially if one is Marty, but they had lots of fun.

The next day, my parents had to go pick up their new vehicle so we told them they could just have the kids come stay with us at the hospital for a couple of hours. We figured they could just hold Taylor, watch TV, and lounge. What were we thinking?! The time that they were with us in that hospital room made us question how we would handle 4 kids. There was too much noise, too much rowdiness, and too much stress. My parents were gone for about 2 hours, but it seemed like days. One of the nurses was nice enough to bring them crackers and Josh helped them get some drinks. Josh walked the halls with them, they visited the nursery, and found a vending machine. It was a good experience to break us into being the parents of 4 kids. The kids had lots of fun, but when they left I asked Josh if there was any way we could extend our hospital stay...and I was serious!

I know it may sound crazy to some of you, but I love my stay in the hospital. Really, I do! I love to have time with Josh and I alone with the baby. It's fun to get to have a few days to bond with the new addition of the family without all the stresses of real life. Plus, what is better than having someone fix you 3 meals a day, change your sheets, and refill your water, all while you cuddle your new baby? Okay, I admit, I didn't do any of that when I got home either. I have a great husband, a great ward, and great friends who hooked us up for almost a week. So nice! The hospital stay was uneventful, which you always love. Taylor had a little bump in her blood sugar and I had to take medicine to help me contract more. I do NOT recommend it. It wasn't too fun to cramp harder than I already was. But, it served it's purpose, no matter how painful the purpose was.

Josh and Taylor taking a napS t r e t c h!Taylor was such a good baby in the hospital. Never cried, ate well, and slept good...she had us all fooled!
I love that cute little foot poking out of her blankets.2 days oldAll dressed and ready to go home
Yaaaawwwwnnnn!I'm the cutest...it's true!From the look on her face, I'm thinking she's not a fan of the car seat.

We brought Taylor home on October 27th. She cried the entire time and Josh drove extra careful. Funny how having a newborn makes you be extra careful. She was welcomed by her big brothers and sister and lots of love. She was spoiled from the beginning. She was never alone, never unentertained, and rarely laying down. She was held all day every day for weeks. Somehow when we came home, we packed a diaper rash with us. It lasted for over 7 weeks. It was the worst rash any of my kids have every had. She cried every time we changed her diaper and it was super sad. I think it made her cranky and irritable too. Plus, we had to change her at least 15 times a day because this child was a pooper! Every time I changed her I would have to use 3-4 diapers because as soon as a new one went on, she'd poop in it. I think by the time she was a month old I had been pooped on at least 15 times. She definitely made lots of laundry for me and went through a LOT of diapers. We're glad those days are mostly behind us now.

We're so glad that Taylor came to our family. She is loved so much and she has brought so much love into our little family. It's fun to see the kids run into our bedroom in the morning and not hear, "where's mom" but instead, "where's Taylor". She definitely is not lacking in love. We love you Taylor Annalynn and are so glad you chose to join our family...even if you sometimes think we're crazy!

5 comments:

grandma jojo said...

love it. thanks for the update. and new pictures! love you.

Allen Family said...

Oh I'm sooo glad you're blogging again! I loved this post. It was fun to hear the story from you. She's so cute. Cal, I hate living this far away. I miss you and I want to see Taylor again before she's a toddler! I love watching our kids play together and seeing the pix made me miss them. Thanks for the post. We love you guys. --Jes

Bryce and Candice Blood Family said...

I loved reading all the details! I love when I get to feel my grandparents near and you can bet they were teaching our kids all sorts of naughty tricks to torment us with! She is such an adorable baby! Aubrey looks just like you and I am guessing she will too. Your kids have grown so much so fast, they are all sooooo cute! I only wish we lived closer!

melaniea said...

I LOVE HER!! I feel like I need some good bonding time with taylor and aunt mel!! I miss you guys, hope you are doing good, and hope to see you real soon!

Heather said...

Just now reading this for the first time......what a great story! You're a good mommy for blogging about it!