Saturday, November 22, 2008

Beautiful Bottled Food

I wanted to share a few pictures of some (not even a small amount) of what I bottled this summer. This was my first year to bottle pears so I had to document it with some fun pictures. I know I'm weird, but aren't the bottles of food beautiful?




Some pictures of a few of my bottles of tomatoes, peaches, and pears.


Sweetie Pie (aka Josh) finished my shelves (on one wall) in my fruit room today. I guess it's "our" fruit room but I'm the one most excited about it. After every nail or screw I would cheer...seriously. I'm way more excited than a normal person should be about shelves! In the next few days I hope to get all of my food storage on the shelves. You will not believe how much food I bottled this year. I also have a TON of food and household "stuff" that I've accumulated since I started doing Pinching Your Pennies - highly recommended. Thanks babe for finishing the shelves. Are you going to help me fill them?

11 comments:

Doty Family said...

Cally, I am so excited you are joining us crazy bloggers!! What an accomplishment. I did some applesauce this year, but it's to stinkin hot in St. George to get to crazy! I'll be back to visit!

Bryce and Candice Blood Family said...

FINALLY! I am dying to see more pictures of your life. Seriously, I think of you and your family all the time...example: our water was turned off, went to neighbors, they were having hamburger pin wheels, "My friends mom was our lunch lady and she made the best hamburger pin wheels and homemade bread and cinnamon rolls and...I miss those guys!" I would never go back to being a teenager but I sure miss some wonderful friendships.

Okay, now that the mushy truths are out, how do you find time and energy for so much bottling? Annnddd, where do you get your fruit? I tried peaches once, apparently I bought the wrong kind because they were mushy. How do you know what to buy!? Shelves/storage space does sound exciting to me right now so don't feel too weird! Your bottles really do look beautiful! Way to go!

grandma jojo said...

guess i know where we are going when we run out of food. and can "babe" make us a room down there?

melaniea said...

Cally I am so glad you got a blog...A lttle behind but thats ok :)How is everything goin? I finally started our christmas gift to your parents, I will have to show it to you sometime. TTYL
-mel

Sara said...

Yes, very beautiful bottles of food. And I love pinching your pennies! I don't go as often as I should but I always learn about great deals when I do!

Sarah said...

Please add me to your list when you go private!!

Way to go on the canning, someday I will have a garden and things to can!

Cole and Kimala said...

What beautiful kids. I also bottled this year, but not nearly as much as I wanted too. I kept missing the fruit orders. Oh well. Your pears look awesome!! Can't wait to see more pictures of those cute kids.

Kimala

PS make sure you send me an invite when you go private. I am thinking that will happen for me here soon too.

renhallows said...

Cally,
I want to be added to your blog list please....I am glad to see you in the blogggging world...fun stuff.
rhallows@yahoo.com

add me add me add me..

we are at hallowsfamdamily.blogspot.com
love youcousin.
rennie

Cally said...

The key to bottling is getting your fruit for FREE! Out of all the fruit I bottled this year I only spent money on the raspberries. The rest was free. I picked peaches at my aunt's house and from people in Escalante; tomatoes from my garden; pumpkins from my garden; pears from a vacant lot and Escalante; and apples from a neighbor and Escalante. My mom picked me A TON of peaches, pears, and apples in Esky. So, that's the key to bottled food for me. FREE! I've never done pears before this year because I've never wanted to pay for them.
As for the time and energy...I have none now! But, when I'm bottling it is usually in the middle of the night. Seriously, there are many 4 am bottling sessions. It's so much easier to do it when the kids are in bed. Then your hubby can help too. :)Or go rent a movie at Redbox and let the kids watch that while your bottling. But, just know that during bottling season your house will be a DISASTER because while you're bottling the kids turn into tornados.

Mandee said...

The basement shelves are beautiful! And so are your pictures. And I am going to use my "soap coupon" today! Yay!

loriallen said...

They are sooooo beautiful! I am so envious. But in a righteous way, right? Cally, you did an awesome job! It's sooo impressive!